Paleos Pandeleimonas is a semi-mountainous village in Pieria and is located at the northeastern foot of Kato Olympus. It was built at an altitude of 450 meters, probably at the end of the 14th century. The houses were made by craftsmen who had originated from Ipeiros who, according to tradition, worked in various villages of Pelion. In the 1950’s abandoned by its inhabitants who moved 6 kilometers below, creating a new village the Neos Pandeleimon (New Pandeleiomon).
When in the 1980’s began to reviving and to reborn from the 30 year old abandonment, then nobody could have imagined the current development. Today Palaios Pandeleimon is characterized as a traditional settlement, as this is one of the best samples of traditional Macedonian architecture in northern Greece. Stone houses with red-tile roofs, stone cobbled streets, the square with the sycamore trees, the restored church of Saint Panteleimonas that dominates the center, create a cinema scene.
That’s why at the beginning of 1980, the greek famous director Theodoros Angelopoulos made there some shooting of “Megalexandros” (Alexander the Great) and many years later in 2008, another director Kostas Koutsomitis found in the Palios Panteleimon the ideal backdrop for the transfer of the novel of Dido Sotiriou “Matomena Xomata” (“Bloody soil).
Nowdays Palios Pandeleimon attracts visitors throughout the year. Old mansions and conserved houses have been restored and turned into lovely hospitable hostels, which, in addition to the modern amenities, offer wonderful views of the Thermaikos Gulf, Platamon Castle and the Coast of Pieria. In the heart of the village, you can find the square with the sycamore trees, colorful flower pots, the impressive church of Saint Panteleimon and the restored old school.
1. Holy Temple of Agios Panteleimon
2. The Old School
2. The Old School
3. Olympus National Park